Indian Brook, L’nu Si’puk, also known as the “Shubenacadie Band” was established in May of 1820. The Shubenacadie Band is represented by five communities, Indian Brook, New Ross, Pennal, Dodd’s Lot, Wallace Hills and Grand Lake.
The Treaty of 1752, often referred to the “Magna Carta of Native Aboriginal Rights” was signed at Shubenacadie District. The treaty dealt with lands, hunting fishing, trapping, gathering and trading and formed the foundation of aboriginal rights in Canada today.
A memorial was erected in 2002 in honor of Chief Jean Baptiste Cope and the Treaty of 1752, Peace and Friendship Treaty.
Indian Brook has enjoyed much growth. The long-planned and much anticipated state of the art P-12 school, L’nu Sipuk Kina’muokuom (LSK), was opened in September 2008. Two community pools were opened in 2009. The community gas-bar has been re-opened (October 2009) and a Cranberry Marsh will be opening soon. A new Mi’kmaq Family and Children Services building is currently under construction and development of Grand Lake and Hammonds Plains is on-going.