FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE January 11, 2023 The Assembly of Nova Scotia Mi’kmaw Chiefs extends condolences to the Grand Council, the Mi’kmaw communities in Prince Edward Island, and the family of Keptin John Joe Sark. “We were saddened to hear the news of the passing of Keptin Sark,” said Chief Sidney
Category: ANSMC
The Assembly of Nova Scotia Mi’kmaw Chiefs – Media Releases
Fishing boat seized by DFO last month still not returned
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE December 19, 2022 The Assembly of Nova Scotia Mi’kmaw Chiefs are frustrated over recent seizure of a fishing boat and gear by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO). Over a month ago, Craig Doucette, a harvester from Potlotek First Nation, fishing under their Netukulimk livelihood fishery
Fisheries Act Case Discontinued
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE December 19, 2022 After careful thought and deliberation, Potlotek First Nation and the Assembly of Nova Scotia Mi’kmaw Chiefs have decided to discontinue the ongoing civil case filed to test the provisions of the Fisheries Act in the Nova Scotia Supreme Court (Trial Division). Instead, the Assembly
Assembly Offers Condolences to the Family of Chief Brian Toney
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE December 6, 2022 The Assembly of Nova Scotia Mi’kmaw Chiefs are expressing condolences to the community of Annapolis Valley First Nation on the recent passing of former Chief, Brian Toney. “It is with heavy hearts and great sadness that we say farewell to a former Chief,” said
Canada’s attempts to change the Indian Act without adequate consultation must stop!
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE October 31, 2022 On October 21, 2022, the Assembly of Nova Scotia Mi’kmaw Chiefs (Assembly) was made aware that the Government of Canada is intending to make changes to the Indian Act. This information was brought to their attention by a third-party, not by the Department of